ABS Laser Engraving
ABS plastic has the capabilities to be laser engraved or laser marked using a high contrast laser beam. ABS plastic engraving is ideal for adding numerous types of content to ABS plastic parts and accessories. Non-contact laser marking is very fast as well as abrasion, heat and acid resistant, and many different plastics can be marked or engraved with a laser. Even extremely small ABS plastic parts can benefit from the laser engrave ABS plastic process.
ABS Plastic Engraving & Permanent Laser Marking Applications
Like lasers, ABS plastics are highly versatile and used for many different applications. Used together, laser machines and ABS plastics can significantly broaden your product line and processing capabilities. Some of the more common applications for laser cutting plastic engraving and non-contact laser marking include:
- Automotive parts
- Tools and handles of tools
- Buttons and switches with day & night design
- Identification tags for animals
- Housings made of plastic
- Electric plugs
- Electronic components
- Printed circuit boards (PCB)
Differences Between ABS Plastic Laser Engraving & Permanent Laser Marking
Although these terms are often used interchangeably, there are differences between laser marking and laser engraving. Each type of process has its own applications and attributes that make it ideal for different jobs.
Permanent, Non-Contact Laser Marking
Non-contact laser marking occurs when the high contrast laser beam interacts with the surface of the ABS plastic material, slightly altering its properties or appearance. The process of non-contact permanent laser marking includes:
- Laser engraved ABS plastic is primarily achieved by moving a low-powered beam slowly across the plastic material using a method called discoloration, which creates high-contrast marks without disrupting the material.
- Laser heating of the ABS plastic, which causes oxidation under the plastic’s surface.
- Low temperatures annealing of the plastic’s surface.
There are four common types of non-contact laser marking options including annealing, carbon migration, foaming, and coloration. In addition, permanent laser marking of ABS plastic is less common a practice when compared to laser engraving. Non-contact laser marking is ideal for barcodes, UID codes, QR codes, logos, and other identification needs.
Laser Engraving ABS Plastic
If you are looking to laser engrave ABS plastic, we have the materials and resources that you need. Our ABS plastic engraving process utilizes a laser beam that physically removes the surface of the material to expose a cavity that reveals an image at eye level. The process of ABS plastic engraving includes:
- High contrast laser cutting plastic creates high heat during the engraving process, which causes the ABS plastic material to vaporize.
- The ABS plastic material is vaporized with each pulse, which provides the engraved area.
- The engraved cavity that is created on the surface is noticeable and eye-catching.
- If deeper marks are necessary, the laser engrave ABS plastic process can be repeated with several passes.
There are three main types of ABS plastic engraving processes that are available: etching, deep laser engraving and laser ablation. Laser engrave ABS plastic is perfect for parts that may experience a lot of wear. However, high contrast ABS plastic engraving is not ideal for marking safety-critical parts.